1. Filing a Notice of Appeal
· The parent of the minor representing himself/herself (Pro Se Litigant) must come to the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court, Child Protection Division located at Cook County Juvenile Center, 1100 S. Hamilton (Ground Level) to request to file a Notice of Appeal.
· A member of the appellate staff will provide to the appellant (parent of minor) an Appellate Packet to be filled out.
· The Appellate Packet consists of
a. Notice of Appeal;
b. Motion to Appoint Appellate Bar Attorney, To Order Transcript; and to Release Impounded Materials;
c. Order on Motion To Appoint An Appellate Bar Attorney's;
d. Order to Include Materials in the Record on Appeal'
e. Order to Prepare Transcripts; and
f. Affidavit of Assets and Liabilities.
· The appellant is requested to fill out and submit the Notice of Appeal form to our office.
· The appellant is requested to fill out the remainder of the Appellate Packet and submit the orders to the appropriate agencies within the Child Protection Division.
· The appellant must maintain contact with the Clerk's Office for information regarding the completion of the appellate record. The contact number is (312) 433-4836.
· Upon the completion of the appellate record, the appellant must pay the applicable fee(s).
The appellant is responsible for pick up of the appellate record from the Clerk's Office and filing it with the Appellate Court.
2. Motion for Change of Venue - a written request presented to the judge asking that the case matter be transferred out of the present jurisdiction and into another jurisdiction because of certain and significant factors existing in the present jurisdiction that may unduly prejudice the case.
3. Motion for Substitution of Judge - a written or oral request presented to the judge asking that the case matter be transferred before another judge. When a case is first filed, the motion can be for any reason(s) and the reason(s) do not have to be disclosed to the court. However, if the judge has already rendered a significant ruling in the matter, the motion for substitution of judge must be "for cause" in that the person making the motion has to provide the court with a significant reason as to why the case will be unduly prejudiced if it remains before the current judge.
4. Release of Records is the same as "Release of Impounded Records” - (See below)
5. Release of Impounded Records - a written or oral request to the judge that records sealed from the public be released to the person requesting the records or to a person or persons named by the requestor. Impounded records can only be released pursuant to a court order.