How to Get Your Next Court Date | Zoom Information | Limiting In-Person Contact | Bail Review

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Traffic Division

You may visit the Criminal Department, Room 1006 or the Traffic Division located in the lower level of the Richard J. Daley Center and request an expungement package. It will contain information regarding the requirements and qualification needed for tickets to be expunged.
The bottom right corner of your ticket will indicate whether or not a court appearance is required. A ticket marked "YOU MUST MAIL - NO COURT APPEARANCE IS REQUIRED" is issued for a violation that does not require a court appearance and is punishable by a fine only. Follow the instructions on the back of the ticket, choosing one of the three listed options:
  • Option A: Plead guilty, pay the fine and receive a conviction on your driving record.
  • Option B: Plead guilty, pay the fine, attend Traffic Safety School and avoid a conviction on your driving record.
  • Option C: Plead not guilty and request a court date.

If the ticket is marked "YOU MUST APPEAR," note the courtroom, date and time listed. You or your attorney must appear in court at this time. There are no automatic continuances, and court dates and times cannot be changed over the phone.

For additional information on Traffic questions, please refer to the following: Circuit Court of Cook County Traffic Court Information or Illinois Vehicle Code 625 ILCS 5/.

The driver's license will be returned when the case has been disposed of or if there is a judge's order to return the license.
You should contact the Traffic Division's Telephone Center at 312-603-2000 or 312-603-2945 for further information. Since each individual case may be different, you will be transferred to the appropriate area in Traffic for the best response(s). In addition, you may visit Traffic's Special Services Department located in the lower level of the Richard J. Daley Center, 50 W Washington St., Chicago, Illinois 60602 to speak directly with Traffic's counter personnel.
In order for the Clerk's Office to determine the disposition of your ticket, we have to review the information entered onto the Clerk's System. Please contact Traffic's Telephone Center at (312) 603-2945 or (312) 603-2945 for further information.
You must file a motion at our Special Services Department for the judge to hear your request. Only the judge can grant you a payment plan. The motion fee will vary depending on the disposition of the ticket.
NSF payments must be paid at the Daley Center, 50 W Washington Street, Chicago, Illinois 60602, Room 1005. Payments cannot be made in Districts two through six. Cash, money orders, cashier’s checks and credit cards are acceptable payments. If paying by credit card, you must pay in person. For additional information, please contact the NSF Department at (312) 603-4912, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 
The assigned courthouse location is indicated on your ticket, please call that particular location for information. If you do not know the ticket number or location, you may call any Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County district(s) and have them search for a ticket number by giving your last name, first name, date of birth, and driver's license number or approximate date the ticket was issued. Please have this information ready when you call. For information on your case if your ticket was issued in Chicago please call (312) 603-2000 or (312) 603-2945.
Due to the Sign and Drive Law that became effective January 1, 2015, you are no longer required for minor offenses to post your driver's license except for an insurance charge. Your license should remain in your possession.

You may post a cash bond to release your Driver's License.However, you are unable to post a cash bond for your driver's license if you are charged with a major offense, such as:
  • Speeding 26 or more miles over the posted speed limit
  • Fleeing or attempting to elude the police
  • Leaving the scene of an accident
  • Driving under the influence (DUI)
  • Street racing
  • Reckless Driving
  • Suspended driver's license
  • Driving while license is suspended or revoked
We only accept credit card payments by telephone for obtaining photocopies, certified transcripts or late court diversion tickets. However, you may use a credit card in person at the Special Services Department for any ticket payment, or you may make online credit card payments for Court Diversion tickets only.  The Clerk’s website is
No, please contact the City of Chicago Hot Line at (312) 744-7275 regarding any questions that pertain to red light camera and parking tickets.
There may be other reasons why your driver’s license is suspended. For additional information, you should contact the (Illinois) Office of Secretary of State at (312) 793-1010.
Our office can verify if a defendant 's request was received by mail. Upon request, a court date can be issued at the Special Services Department if we did not receive your request and you are still eligible to receive a court date. If your scheduled court date has past, you can file a motion requesting the judge to hear your case. The motion fee will vary depending on the disposition of the ticket. 
Yes. However, you will need to contact National Safety Council Traffic Safety School at (888) 245-8450 or online at to reschedule your class. There is an additional rescheduling fee for the 4 or 8 hour class. This fee is payable to National Safety Council.