How to Get Your Next Court Date | Zoom Information | Limiting In-Person Contact | Bail Review


Filing a Motion

Generally the motion will be heard in the last court branch before the same judge, although this is not always the case.   If a case is still pending, a person may file a motion in the Criminal Branch Court location where the case was heard with the Court Clerks.   Otherwise, a person may file a motion in the Clerk's Office, located at the Richard J. Daley Center, 50 West Washington Street, Room 1006, Chicago, IL 60602 for both inactive and pending cases.

The person wishing to file a motion must provide the case number or defendant name. The Clerk will then research the case and provide the person with a motion form to be completed by the customer.  The customer will complete the motion form, indicating the reason that the motion is being filed with the Court.    After the customer completes the motion form, the clerk will set a court date in which the case will be heard.  In the Criminal Department, motions are generally heard at 9:00 a.m. in the particular Branch Court location.