How to Get Your Next Court Date | Zoom Information | Limiting In-Person Contact | Bail Review

District 2 - Skokie

Cities and Villages Served by District 2 - Skokie



Important Documents


The suburban districts hear most of the same types of cases heard in the First Municpal District, but for cases originating in the suburban cities and villages within each district. Each of the Suburban Districts hear cases that include:

Civil actions valued at $100,000 or less
Usually contract cases
Actions of replevin for property valued at $100,000 or less
These types of cases involve actions for the retaking of property for various reasons.
Forcible Entry and Detainer Proceedings
Summary proceeding to recover possession of land that is instituted by one who has been wrongfully ousted from, or deprived of, possession.
Petition for name changes
Lawsuit seeking to have a legal name change.
Law Division filings and Law Division cases in excess of $100,000
These types of cases in the Suburban Districts include personal injury/wrongful death only.
Small claims cases
Cases in which the monetary amount sought does not exceed $10,000.
Domestic Relations cases
These types of cases include dissolution of marriages, dissolution of civil unions, legal separations, civil orders of protections, stalking no contact orders, and civil no contact orders.
Criminal proceedings
Misdemeanors, felonies, quasi-criminal, expungements, and sealings are heard.
Traffic Proceedings
All moving vehicle violations.
Juvenile Justice Cases
Persons who, before reaching their 17th birthday, have violated any federal or state law or municipal ordinance excluding traffic, boating, or fishing and game law violations. (Juvenile Justice cases are not heard in District 4 Maywood). Juvenile Justice
Issuance of Letter of Office
Issuance of additional Letters of Office. Initial or First Letter of Office has to be done in the Probate Division Daley Center Room 1202.
Civil Law Violation
A "Civil Law Violation" is an offense involving the the knowing possession of not more than 10 grams of any substance containing cannabis. Any drug paraphernalia seized in connection with such an offense is also a "Civil Law violation". Each of these offenses are punishable by a minimum fine of $100 and a maximum fine of $200.

Q: How do I appeal the outcome of my Criminal case?
A: An appeal can be filed within the district location in which your case was tried. The fees for an appeal are as follows:

Less than 100 pages $110.00
More than 100 pages, less than 200 pages $185.00
Each page in excess of 200 pages $  .30

Q: What are your office hours?
A: All locations have office hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q: Where can I go to file an emergency order of protection?
A: In the event of a bona fide emergency (a life is in immediate danger), a petition for an emergency order of protection may be filed at any suburban courthouse. If it is not an emergency, a regular order of protection may also be filed at the courthouse.

Q: In what courtroom is my traffic ticket heard?
A: Depending on where the ticket was issued, the courtroom is assigned based upon the police agency involved. You may check our Online Electronic Case Docket Lookup to look up your court information.

Q: How can I change my traffic court date?
A: The defendant or a representative must appear in court on the date of your summons. If a representative appears, that person must explain why the defendant cannot appear and request a continuance. Otherwise, the date must be advanced through the motion court of the specific district court in question requesting that the judge change the date. (A motion to advance cannot be filed in a case involving an accident, except for in District 2, where you may motion to advance as long as there was not any personal injury.)

View All District Frequently Asked Questions

Article: Expungements, Sealings, and Identity Theft

Beginning January 1, 2004, Illinois Compiled Statues were amended to permit people with qualifying arrests, felonies, misdemeanor supervisions and misdemeanor convictions to ask the court to either expunge or seal the records related to their cases. The law is designed to allow people to clear their records with or without an attorney. On this page and the associated links, the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County provides helpful information to assist customers in clearing their records.

Article: Additional Resources

There are several resources that are provided at the suburban district courthouses.