Cook County Clerk of the Circuit Court
Image Spacer for correct size distribution.
Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois
Contact Information | Help |
Official image of Clerk Dorothy Brown

Ceremony 2016

2017 Calendar for Download
Countdown to E-File
Mandatory E-Filing for all civil case types starts in

View our Change Management Newsletter

Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse_This_Window Search by Division
Division Search:

Collapse_This_Window Search by Question
(Optional) Question Search:

Collapse_This_Window Search by Answer
(Optional) Answer Search:

Your search for "" matched 17 results.
Question Answer
How do I find out my next court date? You may find out your next court date by providing our office with your name(s), alias(s), date of birth, year of arrest(s), and charge(s). The Clerk’s Office will be able to locate the customer’s case(s) with this information.
If I am late or if I miss my court date, how do I reschedule my court date? You may reschedule your court date by filing a motion. If the case is still pending, you may file a motion in the Criminal Branch Court locations on the same day with the Court Clerks. Otherwise, you may file in the Clerk’s Office located in the Richard J. Daley Center, 50 West Washington Street, Room 1006 for both inactive and pending cases.
How do I process my bond and how long does it take to get my bond refund check in the mail? If you did not surrender your bond slip in the courtroom, you may bring the bond slip or the bond number(s), to the Richard J. Daley Center, 50 West Washington Street, Room 1006. A receipt of the transaction will be provided to you for your records.
Normally, the processing period is 21 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) from the date when the bond is presented to the Clerk’s Office. Refund checks are mailed to the address indicated on the bail bond form.
How do I change the address for my bond refund? A valid piece of identification and a piece of mail indicating the address where you wish to have the bond check sent is required. Our office will complete a Change of Address Affidavit at the Richard J. Daley Center, 50 West Washington Street, Room 1006 based upon the information provided.
How can I find out if I have an outstanding warrant? If you provide your name or case number the Clerk’s Office can conduct a search of our system.
Can I get a certified disposition of my case? Yes. The Clerk’s Office needs your name(s), alias name(s), date of birth, date of arrest, and charges to search for the appropriate case(s). The Clerk’s Office provides dispositions for Chicago cases only. If your case occurred in one of the suburban districts in Cook County, you must contact or visit that particular suburban district (Districts 2 through 6) to obtain case dispositions.
How much does a certified disposition cost? Each certified disposition costs $9.00.
How can I do a background check on an individual? The Clerk of the Circuit Court is the keeper of court records. The Clerk’s Office maintains a name index that may be searched for public records. You may utilize our public access computers in order to perform a search of the name index. The Clerk Of The Circuit Court does not provide background check services.
How do I order case files for viewing purposes? Our office can assist you with case files for immediate viewing, if you would like to view a case from 1997 to the present, unless the case file is still pending in court. If you would like to view files from the years 1986 through 1996, you may list the cases in our office on a Warehouse Request Form. Those files will be available for viewing within 3 to 5 business days.
Can I get copies of court documents? Yes, you may obtain copies of court documents that are within the case files. The cost of copies depends on the number of pages. The first page is $2.00; the next 19 pages are $.50 per page; and any pages after the 19th page are $.25 per page.
How do I check to see if a person has been arrested? You may check by contacting your local police department. The Clerk’s Office maintains the records for individuals who have been arrested and where charges have been filed. There are circumstances in which the police may conduct an arrest but not actually file charges. In those cases, the Clerk’s Office would not have a record of the arrest event.
How do I file an expungement? Expungements may be filed if the final disposition on a case is classified as a non-conviction. Information packets complete with forms and instructions are available at the Clerk’s Office located at the Richard J. Daley Center, 50 West Washington, Room 1006, Chicago, Illinois 60602 or at 2650 South California Avenue, Room 526A, Chicago, Illinois 60608 or on the Clerk’s Office website www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org.
How much does it cost to file an expungement? The fee (Fee Schedule) is to be paid upon filing for an expungement. This is payable by cash, check or money order to the “CLERK OF THE CIRCUIT COURT.”
If a person has a conviction, can they still file an expungement? A person with a conviction may not qualify for an expungement, but may qualify for a Petition to Seal. The information packets are available in the Clerk’s Office located at the Richard J. Daley Center, Room 1006, Chicago, Illinois or at 2650 South California, Room 526A, Chicago, Illinois or on the Clerk’s Office website www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org.
How long does the expungement or sealing process take? A person’s criminal history may be expunged between 90 to 180 days, which may vary. Each petition is on a case-by-case basis. The Petition to Seal process requires a period of not less than 90 days.
Can I file an appeal? Yes. A person has 30 days from the date of the judge’s final order to file an appeal. If a guilty plea was entered, you have 30 days to file a motion to vacate your guilty plea. If the presiding judge denies your motion, then you have 30 days to file an appeal of the denied motion, including the previously imposed sentencing order.
When I file an appeal, do I still have to complete my sentence that the judge entered on my case? Yes, you are still obligated to complete the sentence that the judge entered, even throughout the appeal process. Completion of a sentence is dependant upon the appeal bond that is set. If an appeal bond is not posted then the sentence imposed must be enforced.

© 2002 - 2017, Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County. (Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy)
Check out our new Website!
Coming May 1, 2018

We invite you to use and review our newly enhanced Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County Website, and we are eager to receive comments about your experience using our feedback link on the site.

The new Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County website features a streamlined format that is easier to use and includes an improved court case search function that enables users to find pertinent information easily and efficiently. Click here to test drive our new website, and remember to let us know what you think. Thank you!
Close this window and continue with our CLASSIC website.