County Division

Monday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Tuesday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Wednesday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Thursday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Friday: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

The County Division is established pursuant to General Order 1.2, 2.1 (d) of the General Orders of the Circuit Court of Cook County. The County Division hears actions concerning a variety of matters, including, but not limited to the following: adoptions, election matters, emancipation of minors, mental health, municipal incorporations, orders of protection filed in conjunction with a mental health proceeding, name changes, tax deeds, tax objections and other matters formerly cognizable in the Circuit Court that are not heard in another division.

County Division Case Files

County Division case files may include the following types of documents: petitions, appearances, motions, affidavits, applications, certificates, notices, court orders and transcripts.

Frequently Asked Questions

    Adoption records are restricted by statute, a court order must be obtained for access to the records.  

    Yes, the involuntary commitment process is the same whether a family member or non-family member petitions the court after observing a person exhibiting dangerous behavior toward themselves or others.

    The treating physician may petition the Court requesting that your child be administered the required medication by force. If the Court agrees with the evidence presented in a court hearing by the treating physician that your child is in need of medication, a court order will be issued indicating that your child will receive the necessary medication by force. If the Court does not agree with the treating physician, an order will be entered in favor of your child. The Court will weigh all of the evidence presented at the hearing to make a determination.

    The Clerk's Office, by law, cannot release adoption information. However, the petitioner in an adoption case can register with the Illinois Adoption Registry. It is possible that your birth parent(s) may already be registered and you don't need to search for them. If your birth parents are not registered, you can petition the Court for the appointment of a Confidential Intermediary.

    The tax purchaser is responsible for notifying all interested parties, including the owner, that the taxes have been sold on a particular property. If you are the owner, you should request an Estimate of Redemption from the Real Estate Taxation Services Division of the County Clerk's Office located at the Cook County Building, 118 North Clark St., Room 434, Chicago, IL.

    If you are an occupant or an otherwise interested party, you are being given notice that the taxes have been sold on the property. You should contact the owner right away to determine if they are aware of the situation. Please note that the current property owner is responsible payment of all taxes due and owed on their property.

    The Change of Name court forms may be obtained, in person, from the information counter in the County Division, Room 1202, or from the Illinois Supreme Court’s website at

    All County Division files can be viewed in Rooms 1201 and 1202 of the Richard J. Daley Center, 50 W. Washington St., Chicago, IL 60602.