The Traffic Division in the 1st Municipal District handles traffic tickets within the boundaries of the City of Chicago. This Division is responsible for maintaining records and collecting fees/fines for all cases involving City of Chicago moving violations. All cases related to parking tickets are not heard by the Traffic Division. Parking tickets within the city limits are heard by City of Chicago Administrative Hearing Officer. The Traffic Division cases are heard in accordance with Illinois Supreme Court Rules and Illinois Compiled Statues. See the web pages for suburban Districts 2-6 for information on traffic tickets issued outside the city limits of Chicago.
Traffic Division Case Files
Traffic/1st Municipal District files are divided into two categories: major and minor cases. A minor case is an offense punishable by a fine.
Major files include the following offenses:
- Unlawful use of license or permit
- Driving while license or permit is suspended or revoked
- Driving commercial vehicles while license suspended, revoked, cancelled or out of service
- Eluding or fleeing police
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, intoxicating compounds
- Reckless driving
- Street Racing
- Speeding 26 miles or more
Minor files include the following offenses:
- Failure to stop at stop sign
- Disobey solid red signal
- Failure to wear seat belt
- No valid state registration
- Operating uninsured vehicle
- Failure to produce driver’s license
- Speeding 1-25 miles over the posted limit
- Speeding 1-25 miles over in a construction zone
- Speeding 1-25 miles over in a school zone
Please refer to the Illinois Vehicle Code 625 ILCS 5/ for additional offenses not listed.